This whole becoming a mom thing has been quite the journey. Most of the time I liked being pregnant, but I'm not going to lie, it's not all roses and sunshine. Your back hurts, you're emotional, you're tired, hungry.... it's important to find those key items that make your life a bit easier. I always love hearing from other moms so here are a few of my pregnancy must haves for you preggo ladies, friends of preggo ladies or just to be filed in the "just in case" folder.
Fashion: I found that having a few basic maternity clothes and mixing with "normal clothes" was key to my fashion happiness.
1) I bought a great jersery black dress (similar to the one above) from Mexx Maternity that I wore tons. With a jacket, cardigan, necklace, you could dress it up or dress it down. Dresses were one of my fav things to wear, especially in the summer because it's one piece and there's no annoying elastic digging into your belly.
2) I'd suggest getting a few basic plain t-shirts for layering. I had a short sleeved white one from Thyme Maternity that I wore all the time. This way you have the practical long maternity top that you can pair with all your regular layering pieces - jackets, cardigan, etc. Don't buy maternity cardigans, normal cardis and jackets totally work.
3) I lived in these maternity leggings in my last trimester. Maternity jeans were great but by the last trimester these were the only things that felt comfortable. Get yourself some long shirts or cardigans to wear with them so you cover your butt.
Cardigans, jackets and blazers were the one thing that I still bought while I was pregnant. It was so nice to be able to look at the "normal clothes" and they're great for adding some colour and pattern to your maternity basics.
4) Joe Fresh Blazer
5) Old Navy Cardigan
6) H&M Cardigan
Accessories were key to making me feel normal and not frumpy.
7) I love scarves and pretty much wear them all year round - bright, colourful and patterned add interest.
8) A great skinny belt was my go-to item and helped me feel less like a giant tent. Wrap it around the smallest part of you, you know that disappearing waist that slowly creeps closer and closer up to the boobs.
9) Statement jewelry is another item to pump up your basics. I got one just like the one above from H&M for only $15. The one above from j.crew is just a little pricier ;)
10 & 11) Stretch marks, um, no thank you. Straight up, greasy vitamin e oil at night and vaseline cocoa butter for the day.
12) Okay, so maybe the snoogle was like having another person in the bed, but trust me you'll do whatever it takes to help you sleep. Those hours between getting up to go to the bathroom are precious.
13) I LOVE this journal. I started this once I got pregnant and it's great to track the little everyday things throughout pregnancy and once the babe comes. One line a day is usually pretty manageable.
14) I researched and read a lot, this book is hands down my favourite. It's easy to read, informative and not filled with terrifying, make-you-paranoid information.
15) You lose a lot of your bendiness during pregnancy so it's important to keep moving. When sitting, standing, lying down is uncomfortable, doing a bit of stretching really helps (so does going for walks). I liked this prenatal yoga DVD a lot because it had a different gal to follow for your 1st, 2nd and 3rd trimester.
What did people do before iPhones?? As an information junkie, I loved having all that info at my finger tips. Plus, it kept my male co-workers entertained when I could tell them what size fruit my baby was at (it was their fav preggo question). Here are a few of my faves:
17) What to Expect Pregnancy
18) Baby Bump
19) Labour and Contraction Timer (for when the time finally comes)
Some other must haves were a hot water bottle for sore backs, one for drinking and snacks, snacks, snacks. My purse was always filled with goodies for those I'm pregnant, feed-me-before-I-kill-you moments. Seriously, don't mess around with a hungry, pregnant girl.
So, those are a few of my top must have items, I hope it helps. Anything to add mamas out there??
I'll be back later this week with of Alice's favourite things and my favourite things for mom. later peeps!